Types of hosting solutions
A hosting service appertains to storing and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server hosted by a website hosting supplier. There are different kinds of hosting services used for various ends, so let's take a glimpse at them. In this way, you can decide what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to have a web site, mail accounts, or to share files with comrades and partners.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by some companies, which allows you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single aim is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions are frequently supported by exhibiting ads beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain amount of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a completely mistaken interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would split the load between autonomous hosts of servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous website hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain vendors offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a great quantity of pictures with buddies or acquaintances since the service is generally free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to managing your e-mail address accounts. Some distributors provide website hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you wish to run an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a website, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email box accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip produces a specific amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of video files and a few hundred viewers, you may have difficulty with your hosting resources. Embedding the video will permit you to possess as many videos as you want to without worrying about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to own a site. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting kinds since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and e-mails, upload video files, etc. At Voxel, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated web hosting plans that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single location. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting package may be better or worse compared to the normal email/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for particular content solely.